Friday 23 March 2012

12th March 2012
You may have read this book:  Crows: Encounters with the Wise Guys of the Avian World (October 2005), by Candace Savage.  She explores the suggestion that crows and their close relations share with humans several aspects of higher intelligence, including the use of tools and sophisticated social behaviour.  If you are a fan of YouTube will probably know about this too, as you may have seen the remarkable clips of crows making a hook out of a piece of wire to pull a small pot out of a tube to access the hidden food.  You’d think it was made up if you weren’t seeing it with your own eyes.  Watching this video got me thinking: Solving problems is an activity humans, (and crows apparently), love to participate in.  It breeds a sense of satisfaction. It helps people get into the state of ‘flow’.  It seems as though time has flown when we are engaged in an autonomous activity that has a purpose.

                As you know, my Year 7 group have been learning about citizenship.  So, with the crows in mind, I am going to set the group a problem: to create their own set of rules for their own community when they are stranded on a desert island.  Working in 3’s I will be asking them to think about their emotions before and after the activity when working in the group, to help them understand what it feels like to be an active citizen. 

As usual, I am influencing their behaviours as they try to solve the old age problem of how you get people to work together for the common good instead of ‘what’s in it for me?’.  As we are in the ‘norming’ stage of group development, it’s a relationship-building exercise which will hopefully have some heated debate along the way and bring us all closer together.  Will they be little crows finding the hidden pot of food or will they be vultures feeding off the scraps of each other?  Let’s see.

It’s a beautiful day in Room 304 and I have an interesting lesson planned around group work which I am going to have to manage.  I shall be using simple reminders, quick direct commands and lots of non-verbal behaviours to keep the pace appropriate to the tasks.  As I sit here thinking of my plan of attack, the first students arrive.  I have a new face appear as he is new to the group.  His friend is K and they both decide to sit at the front; it will be interesting to see how K behaves today.  The monitors give the exercise books out and they are checking the comments I have made as I pop round and give them a reminder of their levels and targets on little slips of paper. 

                “Is this a merit Sir?”

                “Yes T, because it says ‘merit’,” I smile approvingly and open my eyes wide.  She deserved it.

                “OK.  Today we are going to work in groups of 3 and on the sheet on your desk, you will see a range of words that describe your emotions.  I want you to choose 5 that describe how you feel right now, just before you begin working as a group.  Write them down in the right hand column.”

                I stand very still and scan the room letting them know I am watching.  We are 6 months into the year and I still practise ‘transition time’.  Never fails.  We move on.

                “Your group has to come up with at least 10 rules for the 50 people that are stranded on your island.  You are working with them to devise the rules.”

                “Can you do more than 10 rules?”

                “Yes.  At least 10.”  (I resist the urge to say, ‘didn’t you listen?’)  First we shall watch this short video.  I show it.  I walk to the back of the room.  Raucous laughter from A, as he moves backwards onto 2 legs of his chair.  Enough.  “A … stand outside for me please.”  The rest of us finish watching. 

“There are some clues.  I will give you more clues every minute to help you.  Away you go.”  Transition time.  Lovely.  All on task.  Now for A.  I stand half in and half out the room.

“A … when you laugh out loud in that way, I feel irritated as it’s very distracting for everyone and unnecessary.  What I’d prefer you to do is respect everyone else in the room and be less extreme in your responses.  When you do that A, you and I will get on just fine.  Is that fair enough?

“Yes Sir.”  He looks suitably admonished and my deadpan delivery with slightly pursed lips and widened eyes, give him further clues.

“OK. Back inside and work with your group.”  This is his second time and I feel a call to his parents coming on.  He’s not being a crow, he’s not assessing the situation and he’s not learning quickly enough for me.  So he gets no food.

The groups are deep in conversation.  Except one.  U is sitting with his legs turned away from his two compatriots.  He’s not communicating with them and a sneaky look at his emotions sheet tells me he feels ‘uneasy’ talking to two others he wouldn’t normally associate with.  I join them.

“Tell me what you have so far then.”  I listen.

“Well, everyone needs to share,”

“Yes they do.  I like that one.  What have the 3 of you shared so far?”  He doesn’t read between the lines and just looks at me instead of them.  So the 3 of you need share your ideas for the rules.  I look at all 3 in turn, smile and walk away to give a little ‘take-up’ time. Their discussion ensues, crow-like.

My friend A, who I removed earlier still hasn’t learned and is talking to his friend in the group next to his.  He sees me looking at him.  “That’s your group A.”  Wide eyes, cocked head, pointed lips and directional pointy finger from me.  He senses my irritation and talks to his own group.  I look away to give him breathing space.

I give them a further clue on the powerpoint.  Crime. Mutterings of aaaah!

Another clue. Pollution and recycling.  More chat.

Another. Democracy and voting.  Chat.

The girl group of 3 is directly in front of me with some interesting yet dubious rules. 

“You can’t say that J!!”  I gasp in mock horror with mouth like an ‘O’.  “If they steal food you will chop off their legs!!?”  More gasping.  The surrounding groups look up.  Laughter ensues and opinions fly.  “That’s a bit harsh for just stealing food!  Justify that!

“They shouldn’t steal from everyone should they?  If their legs get chopped off then they won’t be able to get to the food.”  She looks at me for approval and her eyes and mouth are smiling.

“OK!  Your rules!” I acquiesce and walk away.

The rules are being made thick and fast.  Time’s running out.

“OK. Pens down, looking this way and listening to me.  Now take out your ‘emotions’ sheet again.  Choose 5 words that describe how you feel now about working in your group.  If you feel differently, choose different words.  Some may be the same.  Some may not.” 

As the satisfying silence descends, I remember back to the first lesson back in September when I had to teach them how to treat me.  They are nearly there.  Just a few of them to knock into shape with some very light taps.  They are becoming better active citizens as each week passes. 

Not one vulture amongst them.  Just 26 crows assessing me, the room, their friends and the context in which they find themselves.  They need a safe place to learn and I am providing that.  Because they feel safe, they are growing and feeling confident enough to express themselves.

They are bending the piece of wire, pulling the pot out of the tube and eating the food.

No comments:

Post a Comment