Sunday 4 March 2012


21st November 2011

Now, I am quite a simple guy really.  I lack knowledge when it comes to great literary works.  My strength comes in connecting ideas together from different areas of life.  I can spot connections which seem quite logical to me.  So it came as no surprise yesterday when a behaviour management phrase or two came to mind, when I heard someone on the radio recite the opening of Shakespeare’s famous soliloquy:
“To be, or not to be, that is the question ….”
Whereas the person quoting this was having a debate with someone about what the soliloquy really meant, my mind was connecting the fact that the first line sounded like two phrases I use a lot in the classroom: “That may be so,” and “You may be right.”  Told you I connected things. So the version in my head goes … “To say may be, or not to say may be, that is the question …”.  
I remember picking this idea up from Bill Rogers.  It works for teachers when we disagree with something a student has said and we need to maintain our professional integrity.  It can go something like this …
“Can I listen to music on my headphones while I’m working Sir?” (pleading)
“No Sarah, you can’t.” (Firm but nice)
“Why not?” (Disappointed)
“Because I want you to concentrate on your learning.” (I am soooo up-to-date)
“But Mr Davies let’s us.” (He may, he may not, but I don’t)
“That may be so Sarah, but in my lessons we don’t have headphones out.” (Firm but nice)
“You are so mean Sir.” (Really disappointed, but she may be right))
“You may be right Sarah, you just may be right.” (But you might not)
I bring this up today because I am working with Year 7 on that most lethal of legal drugs – Alcohol.  As this drug is purported to be the source of much merriment in some cultures, students get mixed messages about its efficacy.  I shall be trying to extract lots of personal opinion and shall have plenty of opportunity to use the two phrases in a slightly different way.  They are both great for re-direction in behaviour management, but also useful for reminding students about fact and opinion.  After all, it’s only their opinion. Maybe they’re right; maybe they’re not.
It ties in beautifully with the BLP idea of ‘Distilling’.  I want them to complete a comprehension and then dovetail new knowledge into their experiences.  This should provide a bubbling cocktail so I can intersperse and practise my ‘may be’ phrases so that everyone comes out feeling as though they have contributed without negating their opinions.  Relationship builder.
The register is up and open.  BLP idea on the door.  Starter is on the desk – just in time.  The previous teacher finishes a little late today and I am playing catch-up now.  This starter is about aliens and the fact that the USA are saying there are none on our planet.  They pass me noisily as it’s been raining at lunchtime and the temperature’s low.  I decide to wait for the majority to be in the room before telling them what to do with it.  I decide to Biffle them because of the noise level.  Still works well.  They look to me.  “2 minutes to read the story on your desk.”  They read.
I go on.  “Talk to the person next to you for 30 seconds about your thoughts.  I will then ask for your discussed thoughts about the story.”  I leave it deliberately vague and wait whilst completing ‘transition time’.  I eye contact 2 girls back left and they lower their eyes to the task.
“Sir I think – “  A boy to my right interrupts my flow.
I flick up my fingers and show him the palm of my hand, gently.  “I’ll be with you in a second.” I screw my face a little and nod towards him, keeping my hand there to maintain contact.  ‘Transition time’ is sacrosanct.  30 seconds goes quickly.
“So M … give me the thoughts from your pair.”
“It’s written in a quirky way.”
“Quirky?”
“Yes. Like when it says, ‘the White House says (don’t get too excited)’.”
“Explain more.”
“It’s like they are talking to me directly, like a mate would.”
“Oh maybe you’re right.” I say with half a smile and eyes widening. Slick.
“What about your thoughts G?”
“I don’t think there are aliens on Earth.  I agree with the USA.”
“Maybe you’re right too!” I say with a wider smile and pointing my index finger towards them.
I go on around the room with each contribution followed by a ‘maybe’ phrase.  Repetition, repetition, repetition. I want to move on and the starter leads into the short comprehension about feeding an alien a drug which makes him feel funny.  I know you know it’s alcohol, but hopefully the students won’t turn the paper over and find that out too. 
I hand it out myself as I still feel the need to make closer contact with those who don’t dominate the class.  Those who are quiet in large groups need me and I need them to be more confident around the gregarious ones.
“OK let’s make a start on this quick comprehension.”  It’s getting easier to get attention now and I can feel them being compliant as they are learning all about my style. “Just waiting for one or two more people to look this way and be listening to me.”  One or two do still need micro-instructions but they’ll get the idea in a few more weeks.
“It’s mine!”
“No it’s not it’s mine!” The comprehension sheet is about to tear into 2 uneven pieces and I look at the inappropriate pair in conflict.
“It’s mine Sir, he took it off me!”
“I didn’t, it was mine and you took it off me!” Quickly I pick up a spare off the desk and give it to the boy who seems most aggrieved.  “Maybe,” I state almost in a whisper, smile a quick smile and wrinkle my nose.  His tension dissipates as his shoulders lower and face loosens.  Another technique from my Grandma. I’m not going to get upset over a piece of paper either.  Back to the learning.
I go through the activity, get a positive response about their understanding of the task and set them off to find out the effects of the drug being injected into the alien at various stages.
“Can I use a ruler to underline?”
“Yes.”
                “Can I use a highlighter?”
“Yes.”
“Have you got a pen I can borrow Sir?
“Maybe I have, but have a quick look in your pencil case first,” I reply with my palm out towards her and she has this bemused look on her face.  I keep my palm out and look elsewhere whilst I ‘transition’ them and ignore her as she ferrets around in her bag.  She finds the pencil case and I drop my hand to my side. Is she deliberately trying to ruin my ‘transition time’?  Doubt it.
I begin my route after watching for about 30 seconds and decide to use my proximity to get 2 students onto task; “J, have you finished?” I add to another.  He understands.  On the next table is the class drummer and as I walk past I touch the back of his hands and keep moving without any eye contact.  Silence.
As I creep around the edges of the room, I spot 2 boys in the middle messing with something under their table.  They are fighting for its possession. 2 in one day.  I choose V to talk to, make eye contact with him and ignore the other.  “V move to the other table, please.” My objective to separate them immediately. 
“But Sir, it’s him.”
“That may be so V, now move.” Pointing and calm.
“But.”
“Move.” Pointing and calm.
He looks as though he is about to open his mouth again. I stare at him then the table and point again.  He moves and carries on with the learning.  Good.  Maybe all these years of practising are paying off.  Minimal disruption with maximum engagement.
Back on the 5th September, I wondered whether I could still manage a class at my advanced age of 53.  My worries are subsiding; maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment